Re: crc error when booting

roylo (roylo@example.com) wrote:

> Well, you can't blame us for misunderstand him

Sure I can.  I got it, so did Steve.  Looks like Tim H. did,
too.  All I did was read what he wrote.  Not so tough.

> Granted, that I'm not the only person misunderstood him (Archan was confused
> as well)

Yeah, and if you don't get it, not posting is the better way to
go.  It's like the other day when Scott asked if anyone knew
of a way to get the association between ethernet interfaces
and drives directly from the kernel, without looking at the
other usual suspects.  That was perfectly clear, yet what
did people do?  Tell him how to do it using the other usual
suspects, which he already knew about but which didn't suit his
purposes.

> but could you be a little bit nicer when you talk to people next time?

If you hadn't already been told once to read his posts before
replying, yeah.  Since you guys apparently both ignored that,
a boot to the head strikes me as being rather justified.

YMMV, but if I was giving somebody bogus info and muddying the
waters for a beginner, I certainly wouldn't be upset if
somebody told me I was.

Anyway, I was perfectly civil.  The facts are that you guys
weren't reading his posts very carefully and were really muddying
the waters.  The truth of the matter is that the best thing to
do *is* to not post if you don't understand, and the best thing for
him to do *is* to ignore everything you and Archan posted, it was
only confusing him and providing no help at all.   There's nothing
wrong with telling him that.  There's something wrong with not
telling that, I think.

> all we were just trying to help.

I know you were trying, but you were only making the situation worse.
That wasn't your intent, but it was the reality on the ground.
If I were doing that, I would certainly hope that someone would tell
me to stop.  Around here, I'm sure someone would :-)

Jonathan