Re: Broadband Router/Firewall

>>>>> "s-luppescu" == s-luppescu  <s-luppescu@example.com> writes:

    s-luppescu> Why not just get a cheap, old computer with two
    s-luppescu> network cards and install a modern Linux distribution
    s-luppescu> with a 2.4.x kernel and iptables, which gives you
    s-luppescu> stateful inspection? I have a discarded 100 MHz
    s-luppescu> Pentium at home I use for this purpose. Works great.

This is great unless you would like wireless access, which would
require yet another piece of hardware.  The cost adds up.

Yes, I know you can hack some wireless cards to act in infrastructure
mode and use them to route in a Linux box, but that's not really
reliable.

I prefer a box that does NAT, wireless, PPPoE, DHCP, and DNS caching
all in one.  Though the cheap old Linux computer solution is great
if you don't care about wireless; and in fact, you don't need two
ethernet cards, just use one and IP aliasing to have it listen both
on the internal and external IPs.

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters K and I and the number 12.
"Nerd. Loser. Jerk. Moron. Worm. Scum. Idiot. Fool."