Re: Broadband Router/Firewall

s-luppescu@example.com wrote:
> On 02-Sep-2001 Stephen Lee wrote:
> > I got my Yahoo! BB ADSL connection last week, and is considering getting
> > a broadband router.
>
> Why not just get a cheap, old computer with two network cards and install a
> modern Linux distribution with a 2.4.x kernel and iptables, which gives you
> stateful inspection? I have a discarded 100 MHz Pentium at home I use for this
> purpose. Works great.

I know somebody is going to ask this.  I wanted to get a router because
using a computer means:

1) Space to put the computer in a tiny Japanese apartment.
2) Time to set it up.
3) Noise from the fans+HDD.

That said, I'm probably going with the Linux solution, after considering
the price and seeing that I do have an old computer lying around.  I guess
I'll just have to bare with the noise.  Maybe I can run it from ramdisk
and shut off the HDD after boot?

Stephen