Re: FreeWNN questions

Marc Christensen <marc@example.com> writes:

> I have built and installed FreeWnn 1.1.1a17.  However, I cannot seem to
> communicate with a running server.  I start jserver and get this output:
>
>   [root@example.com marc]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/jserver start
>   Starting jserver services:  jserver
>   Nihongo Multi Client Server (4.20)
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/kihon.dic     Fid = 1
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/setsuji.dic   Fid = 2
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/koyuu.dic     Fid = 3
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/chimei.dic    Fid = 4
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/jinmei.dic    Fid = 5
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/special.dic   Fid = 6
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/computer.dic  Fid = 7
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/symbol.dic    Fid = 8
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/tankan.dic    Fid = 9
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/bio.dic       Fid = 10
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/gerodic/g-jinmei.dic         Fid = 11
>   Reading /etc/FreeWnn/ja/dic/pubdic/full.fzk      Fid = 12
>   Finished Reading Files
>   .
>

> Then I start kinput2:
>
> LANG=ja_JP XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" kinput2 -xim -wnn -kinput &
>
> Once I do that, and start a kterm, all I get when starting Japanese input
> (shift-space) is a box that says 'roma' in katakana.  It seems to hang the
> kterm and kinput2 session at that point.

Are you really sure that it hangs or are you just confused by
the funny default user interface of Wnn with kinput2?

In case it is just a user interface problem, have a look at
my home page, section "kinput2 and Wnn":

    http://www.suse.de/~mfabian/suse-cjk/node51.html

> Anyone know of this type of problem?  Is there a way to fix it?
>
> Also, in my /etc/passwd file I created the wnn account entry:
>
>   wnn:x:502:100:wnn:/dev/null:/bin/false
>
> For more security, I set the home dir to /dev/null and the shell to
> /bin/false.  However, I noticed that at www.freewnn.org/install.html the
> wnn account has an entry like this:
>
>   wnn:*:127:0::0:0:I am Wnn:/root:/bin/csh
>
> Could this be causing my problems?  Does FreeWnn need csh as it's shell

No, I run it successfully with the following entry in /etc/passwd:

  wnn:x:66:100:Wnn System Account:/var/lib/wnn:/bin/false

> and does it need a home directory?

Don't know. /var/lib/wnn exists in my case and contains Wnn's
dictionaries.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian
睡眠不足はいい仕事の敵だ。