RE: Broadband Router/Firewall

On 02-Sep-2001 Stephen Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got my Yahoo! BB ADSL connection last week, and is considering getting
> a broadband router.  Upon some research I found that there are basically
> two price ranges: the more expensive ones with "Stateful Inspection"
> firewalls, and the cheap ones with just packet filtering (or none at all).

Why not just get a cheap, old computer with two network cards and install a
modern Linux distribution with a 2.4.x kernel and iptables, which gives you
stateful inspection? I have a discarded 100 MHz Pentium at home I use for this
purpose. Works great.
Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
$(B:MJ8$HCRF`H~$NIc(B        -=-=-  s-luppescu@example.com
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl.html
http://musuko.uchicago.edu/pubkey.asc for PGP Public Key
ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070
Old programmers never die, they just hit account block limit.