From: Scott [mailto:scottro@example.com]
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2001 10:11 AM
To: tlug@example.com
Subject: Re: New to Linux.

on 17:35 2001/09/02 -0700, roylo wrote
>Dragon Linux? hmm.. I have never heard of them.

I think I tried it when I first began getting interested in Linux--you
download it, IIRC and install it on a Windows partition as a Windows
application--I never did get it working correctly.  :)

>I would suggest you try debian, redhat, Mandrake, or SuSE [or maybe
>Slackware]
>
>Alot of my friends think Mandrake is a good choice for starters who want to
>learn linux
>SuSE is the easiest to use in my opinion
>Redhat is pretty much the standard here (in the bay area)
>Slackware is good if you have some sorta of *nix background
>Debian is pretty cool, and it is a truly open source linux

I went on a distro binge a few months ago (I had to do something with the
new CD burner) and tried several.  (At work, we use RH).  I found RH,
Caldera and Mandrake the easiest to install on various hardware. (However,
didn't try on a laptop).

>Personally, I would suggest you to use either Mandrake or Redhat.

If RH installs without problem, I'm going to cast my vote for them--the
reason being that Mandrake makes it too easy to do everything from a GUI
and it gets tempting. :)

As for things to use for first steps in learning---RedHat has its
beginner's guide up on its site as well as other useful things at
http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/howto/rhl71.html  (Some of the links on
that page are 7.1 specific, but others are more general).

Some of the howtos at www.linuxdoc.org are great for anyone, others can be
intimidating to the beginner, and some are quite dated.  (I've been messing
with Linux on and off for a few years now, and some of the howtos are still
over my head--that could be my own stupidity, of course.)

I found, when I was first beginning, that a good one for learning the
various Unix command lines and such was
http://www.ssc.com/mirrors/LDP/LDP/gs/gs.html
The Linux installation and getting started guide. I suspect that the
installation aspect is probably dated by now, but the getting started part
was quite helpful.

HTH

Scott Robbins

Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, Sep 15 13:30-  Leading Edge Co., Place Canada
Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Oct 19 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae