Re: Broadband Router/Firewall

["Scott M. Stone" (Re: Broadband Router/Firewall) writes:]
>> On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, roylo wrote:
>> > don't worry, you will never excess 10Mbps on a dsl connection.
>> > {Just to give you an ideal; T2 is only 6312 kbps = 6.312 Mbps}
>> > {And I have not seem any ISP that offer more than 5Mbps on dsl connections}
>>
>> T2?  a European T2/E2 is only 2 megabits/sec, and I was led to believe
>> that they only exist in Europe.

Ahem. E1 is 2.048Mbps. E2 is 8.448 Mbps. DS1 (T1) is 1.544Mbps, DS2 (T2)
is 6.312 Mbps. It is all in the ITU/CCITT G.7xx standards. The "E"
series are are is used virtually everywhere except the US, Canada and Japan.

>> Is this some special Japanese kind of T2
>> that you folks only have over there?  I've been around networking for
>> quite a while and I haven't ever run into a ~6mbit WAN circuit type
>> (unless you count 4 bonded T1s..)

The second level of the PDH hierarchy is not seen that often in
isolation. I suspect the only 8.448 Mbps circuits I have actually seen
were short lumps of cable in a cascade of the older PDH muxes. Probably
the same was the case in the US. You should have spent more time in the
innards of a major CO, Scott.   8-)}

PS: you can see the OHP material about this at:
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/subjects/cse4891/sig_mux/mux.html

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298