Re: Linux job market in Japan

roylo (roylo@example.com) wrote:

> For those of you in Japan; could you please tell me what is the job market
> like in Japan now?

Unemployment is at 5%, an all-time record high since they started
keeping stats on it in 1953.  For those familiar with Japanese
reporting of unemployment stats, that probably means it's closer to
10%.  Anyone who has worked 1 day in the past month is not considered
unemployed for statistical purposes, nor are people who are
under-employed counted (e.g., you work 10 hours a week at a convenience
store but want a full-time job like the one you were laif off from;
you don't get counted as un/under-employed).

With that said, the IT sector is probaby in better shape than
most others.  The Starbucks sector is in the best shape, though :-)
However, I don't give much weight to "Linux job market," neither
here nor anywhere.  There are few purely Linux jobs out there.
There are a lot of Unix jobs in the world, in which you may or
may not be required to also use Linux.  It's a lot easier to
find employers who want Solaris or HP-UX skills than who are
specifically seeking Linux or *BSD skills.

Jonathan