xemacs again...

xemacs, my friend and foe, why must you be such a Pain in the Ass... or
maybe I"m just stupid.  anyway:

root@example.com# xemacs main.c&

it opens the window, does NOT open the file, and at the bottom complains:

Lisp nesting exceeds 'max-lisp-eval-depth'

I've installed prog-modes and cc-mode, it seems to get through loading a few
.el thingies before it hits this error.  Any ideas as to even how to debug
this?  I'm not very good with LISP nor with the built-in lisp debugging
tools.