Re: IDE vs SCSI for RAID

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that was implemented in my ancient AMI controller;
> allegedly you could transfer a file from one drive to another with a
> single (fairly complex) command.

Interesting. Which Filesystem did that one support for that ?

> Whether linux drivers would do that I don't know.

AFAIK no.

> It would certainly be useful in applications like
> writing CD-Rs etc.

Another funny thing you can do with scsi is connect the other end of the bus
to a second scsi controller (with a differnt scsi id) in a different host, so
both hosts can share cdroms and cd writers. And I think I remember there at
least was an option to support tcp/ip over scsi some time ago. (^_^)
Have not seen that one in my recent linux kernels though, but I did not really
look for it...

--
Tobias							     PGP-Key: 0x9AC7E0BC
When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.