Re: IDE vs SCSI for RAID

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> NB I have no experience with the new UDMA drive/controller combos.
> But every alleged improvement in IDE performance in the past has
> failed to bring IDE up to SCSI levels in my experience.

But you have to admit that taking price into account really changes things. The fastest
IDE may be slower than the fastest SCSI, but its a lot cheaper. IDE would be a problem if
you decided to use a master and slave device on the same controller, but it works great
if you put one device per controller.

I had a file server with SCSI Quantums (SCSI) which started to die one by one (so much
for reliability). so they were ditched them and replaced by a raid array (RAID-5) of 4 x
45GB IBMs (ATA100).

The result was about 80GB of space and very fast access times, plus its been up for
months without trouble.