Re: RH7.1 Japanese environment

Replying to the list, although I think Stuart's response came just to
me..

[Stuart Luppescu (Re: RH7.1 Japanese environment) writes:]
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:46:22 +1000 (EST)
>> "Jim Breen" <jwb@example.com> wrote:
>> > When I looked at it, it seems cannaserver was running. I tried starting
>> > up "kinput2 -canna". It seemed to start OK; from within a kterm it would
>> > bring up an over-the-spot window, even do a kana->kanji conversion, but
>> > when I hit shift+space, it beeped and deleted the text instead of
>> > dropping it into the app.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is you didn't hit <ENTER> to ``lock in''
>> your conversion.

With canna, pressing ENTER with just some kana displayed "locked" it in.
Repeating the process with a conversion, pressing ENTER resulted in a beep
and the deletion of the kanji.

Attempting to use FreeWnn, I can't even "lock-in" kana.

>> > I turned off cannaserver and turned on the FreeWnn which came with it.
>> > However starting kinput2 or "kinput2 -wnn" give me a message:
>> > "Warning: mes_id = 207: Message not found."  The same message appears
>> > each time I press shift+space.
>>
>> I have been told (on this list, probably) that kinput2 is not configured to
>> use the freeWnn that is included with RedHat 7.1, and that you need to use
>> the commercial version of Wnn. The alternative is to recompile kinput2,
>> after configuring it to use freeWnn.

Can anyone confirm that? And give me a pointer to configuring kinput2 to
use FreeWnn?

>> > All this is a little annoying as with RH6.2 I just installed the
>> > wnn and kinput2 RPMs, and it ran.
>>
>> I have found RedHat 7.1 to be the best RedHat so far to handle Japanese
>> in an ordinary English installation.

I now wish I'd bitten the bullet and use Japanese as the language of
installation. All the stuff may be there, but RH provides fuck-all
documention on how to configure and invoke it.

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298