RH7.1 Japanese environment

Well, since I seem to be able to get messages to/fromthe list,
here's a real question.

I'm now bringing up RH7.1 on a desktop. I opted for an "English"
installation (because I am lazy), but I understood from Adrian Harvill
that the full Japanese environment was there; just disabled.

kterm runs OK (and amazingly will now display JIS X 0212 without me
having to fiddle with it.) My usual things like jstevie and xjdic run
OK, so the next step is to get kinput2/wnn running.

When I looked at it, it seems cannaserver was running. I tried starting
up "kinput2 -canna". It seemed to start OK; from within a kterm it would
bring up an over-the-spot window, even do a kana->kanji conversion, but
when I hit shift+space, it beeped and deleted the text instead of
dropping it into the app.

I turned off cannaserver and turned on the FreeWnn which came with it.
However starting kinput2 or "kinput2 -wnn" give me a message:
"Warning: mes_id = 207: Message not found."  The same message appears
each time I press shift+space.

All this is a little annoying as with RH6.2 I just installed the
wnn and kinput2 RPMs, and it ran.

Any suggestions on how to get it going? (And don't tell me to move to
*emacs!)

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen  [j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/]
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298