Subject: [LIG] Linux documentary film
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 22:14:02 +0300 (EEST)
From: Hannu Puttonen <puttonen@example.com>

Hi.

I´m Hannu Puttonen, a Finnish film director and writer from Helsinki. I
have just completed a one hour long documentary film on Linux, open source
& free software movement. It is called The Code and includes Linus
Torvalds, Richard Stallman, Eric Raymond, Alan Cox, Jon 'maddog' Hall,
Miguel de Icaza, Alan Cox, Theodore Ts´o, David S. Miller, Andrew Leonard,
Robert 'Bob' Young, Larry Augustin and Eric Allman, to mention a few.

It´s about the time to show the film for the world, and that is why I send
this e-mail. I´ve been in contact with Sarai (Jeebesh Bagchi
jeebech@example.com), and they are keen on to arrange a few screenings in
India for the audiences interested in the topic in question. I can take
different formats of the film on video (PAL). VHS and mini-DV anyway.
Betacam SP too, if needed.

On 17th of September it will be the 10th anniversary of the moment, when
Linus Torvalds put his Linux 0.01 -version of the kernel code on Internet
from his tiny flat in Helsinki, Finland. I´d like "the world premiere" to
be on that day. But not necessarily in my home country, because in a small
country (only 5,1 million people in the fifth largest country in Europe)
the few local, internationally known celebrities are over-exposed out of
all proportions in the media. So has happened with both mr. Torvalds and
Linux.

It is already a known fact, that the real change and possible revolution
in terms of Linux and the whole free software/open source will happen in
the countries like India. The whole IT culture and business in your
country looks very interesting from a Finnish point of view (there was a
documentary about it on our tv a week ago). So, after completing this
film, I´d still like to learn something new about the phenomenon called
free software, before starting a new film on something totally different
subject matter.

So, we are trying to arrange at least that one screening with Sarai in
Delhi on 17th of September. The other possible screenings could take place
during the same week.

My travel expenses will be covered from Finland and back, and I don´t need
any fee, but a local accommodation would be fine.

Mail me or call me, if you have an interest to arrange for the local
people in India an opportunity to see the documentary before anyone else.

Yours,

Hannu Puttonen
Director, writer

Bulevardi 34B a6