Re: vmware

Tobias Diedrich writes:
 > Marcus O.C. Metzler wrote:
 >
 > > Why do you need vmware to tell Linux to shut down. I don't know if I
 > > understand your question correctly. If you shut down the emulated
 > > computer within vmware, the machine will either halt or reboot. You
 > > will either see the empty vmware window or the boot screen  of
 > > vmwares "bios", counting memory, detecting cpu etc..
 > > If you want to shutdown the underlying linux part just shut it down
 > > and vmware will be stop like any other process.
 >
 > Well I was thinking of running vmware as a Service:
 > It get's started together with Windows and runs until the Machine is shut down.
 > So when vmware gets the kill Signal from Windows it tell Linux to shutdown cleanly
 > before exiting and not just kill the virtual machine.

You can set the virtual machine to not change the image file, so that
crashing won't effect the virtual operating system. It also prevents
any programs installed during the session from being on the image
after a restart. You would always start with a fresh system.
I haven't tried vmware under windows, but I guess it would work the
same way.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@example.com                     http://www.metzlerbros.de