X sucketh most verily? (was: Re: X->XX->X problem)

Quoting Viktor Pavlenko <vp@example.com>:

> I just showed a colleague how great linux is by starting a
> second X server (with startx -- :1); [...]

Sorry Uvator, I cannot help you, but this email seemed like
a good place to start a discussion on X and windowing
systems in general. So here goes naught:

X, as a windowing system, seems to have some problems. Some
of the ones that I am aware of are:

1) The programming interfaces are somewhat (or very,
depending on whom you ask) shitty.
2) It seems that X is functioning in many ways for which it
was never designed. In short, it is a collection of clever
hacks, hacks, and kludges.
3) It leaks memory to a degree ranging from not so bad to
downright Windows-esque.

There are certainly more that I have heard of. I am no
expert on the inner workings of X, but it seems to me that
there may be room in the Open Source world for another
windowing system, of a better design.

In short, I hope to get some opinions on X from you guys.
Stuff you like, stuff you don't like, problems, design
mistakes, etc.

"No segfault, no problem."

Josh Glover
jmglov@example.com