Re: this is a strange idea, what do you think..

VNC sounds like a bit too much... the telnet daemon would be
more efficient with bandwidth.. on the more technical side, LILO is
a PITA to do anything with from windows... I would suggest taking
a look at Gnu-GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader)... it replaces
LILO, and rather than storing static information about how to boot,
it actually understands the file systems, including FAT, and
references it's config by filename.... so, you configure GRUB to pull
the boot information from a file on your windows drive, and just have
a windows batch file (or some such) which swaps the linux-boot-by-
default config file into place. run said batch file from the telnet
daemon and run a reboot program, and you would be good to go.

On 8 Aug 2001, at 9:47, Tim Hurman wrote:
> how about VNC or just the telnet daemon under NT with the posix tools
> installed?
>
> Tim.
>
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Scott Stone wrote:
>

> > I just had a thought (run! run for the hills!) ... would it not be
> > nice if you had a little bitty daemon that runs under *windows* that
> > you could telnet to and give a command like "reboot linux" and it
> > would modify the lilo configuration on the mbr such that it would
> > reboot the system into linux, in case you had a dual boot system and
> > had left it booted into windows, but you want it to boot into linux
> > so you can use it remotely?

> > Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
> > Senior Technical Consultant - UNIX and Networking
> > Taos, the Sysadmin Company - Santa Clara, CA

> > --- Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Aug 17 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
> > Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, Sep 15 13:30-  Akasaka Kumin Center
> > --- more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp           Sponsor: Global
> > Online Japan

> - Next Nomikai Meeting:    Fri, Aug 17 19:30-  Tengu Tokyo Eki-Mae
> Next Technical Meeting:  Sat, Sep 15 13:30-  Akasaka Kumin Center
> - more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp           Sponsor: Global Online
> Japan

James Gibson
twistedhammer@example.com