Re: restoring text mode after x server crash

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 09:00:42AM +0200, Tobias Diedrich wrote:

> > Have you tried using the NVidia driver from their web site?
>
> Yes, but that is a really evil Windows driver port (tm).
> So I use it only if I need 3D and xvideo extensions.
>
> And by the way that one likes to lock up my machine, leave the overlay
> on in text mode and locks interrupts for too long on startup...

I'm using a geforce 256 and I find it much better than the nv one that
came with X. Before I switched I was seeing lockups too like you
describe. Looks like you're using the riva so it may well be a
different story for you. Only problem I have is that X swallows most
of my memory.

ie, after only 6 days of uptime...

 PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
 897 root       9   0  244M 229M 21748 S     0.7 45.8 474:43 X

Now that's insane, or is it?

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com