Re: Soundcard

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 09:08:21AM +0900, Dan Lindfield wrote:

> When I recompiled my kernel I used 'make menuconfig' and only changed the
> sound support section. Here I selected 'Sound card support', 'OSS sound
> modules', 'VIA82c686 codec'. By selected I mean option 'Y' not option 'M'
> as I wanted to install sound in the kernel and not as a module. Having said
> all this I am now using my old linux kernel so sound is modular again.

Once you have the latest kernel source there are two selections
that need to be made:

1) Under the IDE,ATA,MFM/RLL support menus, select the VIA 82CXXX
Chipset support option.

2) Under the Sound menu, select the VIA 82C686 Audio Codec option.
Whether or not you install this option as a module (e.g. M) or
directly compiled into the kernel (e.g *) is your choice.

Also, do not select OSS sound modules support when enabling the
option for the VIA 82C686 Audio Codec.

-- Uva Coder