Re: Linux firewall for a Samba || NT file server

>From: Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com>
>
>If I recall correctly, there are some potential security
>problems with allowing access to udp/137 -- crackers can
>use it to map out your network.

Ouch. Sounds like something I don't want.

>You would probably be better off running HTTP or FTP.

Agreed. But I want to set up a file server for "dumb" windows users. i.e.
drag -and-drop.  I don't think FTP or HTTP will quite do it. They can easily
get the files, but putting files on the machines isn't so easy.

>Allowing write access is also quite tricky. It can be used
>to compromise the server or store warez.

Hum, more bad news . . .

So if and SMB server has all these security holes what would you recommend?

I guess the problems is that the file server is for internal use only but I
still want to make it secure just in case one of internal machines get
compromised and then is used to hack the file server.

Jc