memory holes and kernel params

Ok, here is the deal.  I have an ancient Compaq 1500
beast that I have dropped linux on.  But I have a
minor problem, in that it has a memory hole that is
causing the kernel a bit of grief.  Now I know I can
warn it about the memory hole in lilo.conf with a line
like:
append="mem=##M@example.com"

What I don't know, and can't find any documentation on,
is what do the ## stand for?  Does this line say I have
a contiguous block of RAM that is ## in size starting
at 16M, or does it say I have a total of ## in ram, with
a 1MB hole running from 15M-16M?  ie, if I have 128M of
physical memory and a memory hole at 15-16M, should my
lilo line look like:

append="mem=112M@example.com"

or

append="mem=128M@example.com"