Re: Office documents

"Michael Engel" <michael-engel@example.com> wrote:

>I am trying to get some input in the capability of StarOffice to read the MS
>Office files.
>
>Does reading (import) work well ?
>Word
>Excel
>Powerpoint
>
>How about the writing (export) capability ? Can MS Office read the
>StarOffice files well ?
>
>Or would recommend another office package ?
>
>If you are in Japan, you are also exposed to Ichitaro files - what's about
>them ?

My limited experience has not been good. StarOffice does not do Japanese,
either, so Ichitaro would be dead at the starting line.

The good news is that the next major version of Start Office is supposed
to be able to do Japanese and to do a better job of conversion with MS
Office files. It is reportedly on track for a release later this year.
(I'd add on a few months to that just to be realistic.)

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>