Re: Netscape and Japanese

Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com> wrote:

     John De Hoog wrote:

     > By typing in exactly as in the screen shot Tobias put up for me, I was
     > able to get Netscape to display with Japanese menus, accept Japanese
     > input, and display GOO correctly including the buttons that were
     > formerly mojibake. Now I have to make that permanent in the Netscape
     > environment.

     You can start kinput2 and set the XMODIFERS Environment from your .xinitrc
     (or .xsession if you use Debian). If you always want to use Japanese
     you can set this in your .xinitrc too.
     However, my (Debian) startx manual page states that .xinitrc is only used by
     startx/xinit and ignored by xdm (which I would assume includes kdm/gdm).

     If your Distro is Japanese-Enabled it may do these Settings automatically
     if you set your Systems default Language to Japanese.

Supposedly the distribution is Japanese-enabled, with Japanese set as
the default locale/language. But I still had to enable Japanese for
Netscape separately as per your example. When I get a chance, I'll probe
around in the various settings to see what gives.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>