Re: Hostname questions

Jake Morrison <jake_morrison@example.com> wrote:

     In fact, all your machine needs is an IP address. It can get
     even more interesting. With DHCP, the machine can
     get its IP address at boot from DHCP, then query DNS to figure out
     what it's hostname is (and maybe write it to /etc/hostname). This
     is pretty common for client machines in a corporate environment.

This is another area of puzzlement for me. I installed RH7.1 on a PC
connected to my Tokyo Metallic ARESCOM router (ADSL). Since the
modem/router assigns the IP address, I chose DHCP for the network
information. But Red Hat sets the router IP address as the DNS server
address. I have to plug in some working DNS server addresses, but if I
reboot (not too often, fortunately), they have been replaced by the
router address again. Where can I set this information so it will stick?

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>