Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1

On Mon, Jul 16, 2001 at 10:54:56AM -0000, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> ># vi /etc/hosts
> >(more sure it looks something like...)
> >127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost
> >your_ip        your_hostname.your_domain your_hostname
>
> And if I don't have a your_hostname.your_domain your_hostname? Can I just
> add the ip?

Nope, or not that I've ever tried and not that it makes sense to me or
to the OS either. Naming your machines is a good policy :) why not give
your machine a name, like "dev" as you did before... If you have dns up
and running, why not a domain too? ie, a fqdn and an non fqdn and
any aliases that machine depends on for its own configuration, like if
it is a mailhost or a loghost. If DNS goes down then at least the
machine will behave a little better resolving its own names.

> ># vi /etc/sysconfig/network
> >(update the HOSTNAME line, this is the equivalent of /etc/hostname on
> >  other systems.)
> >HOSTNAME=your_hostname
>
> Ok. Will try that tomorrow and see what happens!
>
> BTW why is a hostname required in both places? What is the functionality of
> the different files?

Putting it in /etc/sysconfig/network actually names the machine when your
os boots, the same things as /etc/hostname on some other distros. /etc/hosts
is a file that is used to look up names when NIS or DNS is not running
depending on the configuration of /etc/host.conf. Normally on RH 7.1 it
says to check /etc/hosts first and then bind (DNS).

And stay away from GUIs for sys admin stuff. More harm then good in most
cases. Get to know the files, they're pretty easy. First time I used
linux I used a GUI to change my network settings, boy was I sorry. Never
touched it again, but I guess things will change eventually.

Cheers,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com