Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1

>From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
>To: "Jean-Christian Imbeault" <jean_christian@example.com>
>CC: tlug@example.com
>Subject: Re: Apache fails to start under RH7.1
>Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:01:36 +0900

><jean_christian@example.com> writes:
>
>     >> You should be seeing an entry for the httpd service from
>What command are you using to start Apache?  Where is the [FAILED]
>message reported, on that useless Red Hat boot screen?

I use /etc/rc.d/init/httpd start. The message appears on the console. Or the
boot screen if I reboot.

That FAILED message seems to be related to my hostname though. I have no
idea what the relation is though!

>On my (Debian)
>system, there is no /var/log/httpd; instead Apache keeps its logs in
>/var/log/apache/ (there are three, access.log, error.log, and
>suexec.log).

RH has /var/log/httpd and acccess.log, error.log and ssl_request.log.

>Oh.  That's probably /etc/hostname.

Under RH it seems to be /etc/hosts

Which brings me to some observations. I was using the the following
/etc/hosts file

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost
10.2.100.85	localhost.localdomain	localhost

But this caused RH to hang at boot when trying to start sendmail.

I then edited the file to be

127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain	localhost

And the machine booted fine but apache failed to start. Also when I log in
using Gnome I get an error about Gnome not being able to look up my
hostname.

But here's the *strangest* thing. My machine has a hostname!! And it's the
old hostname with "two" appended to it. It used to be "dev" now it's
"devtwo". Where the heck did that come from !?

so I added the line

10.2.100.85

to the /etc/hosts file and now things are fine.

So my questions are now these:

- where did the hostname devtwo come from? How can I get rid of it?
- why is RH unhappy if I don't put an entry in /etc/hosts for my ip?
- why can't apache start if the hostname is wrong in someway?

Jc