Re: round 2

> cp x.txt /dev/fd0

this command just wrote a.txt onto your floppy, although not in a way that
is instantly recoverable for anyone without prior knowledge of'dd' or
similar.

that way you should really do it is:
as root
mkdir /floppy
mount /dev/fd0 /floppy
cp a.txt /floppy/
umount /floppy

to format a floppy (DOS/VFAT):
superformat /dev/fd0

> and read
>
> cp: cannot stat 'x.txt':
>
> and a longer stream of gibberish.
>
> Maybe it's a problem that this is a DOS-formatted diskette.  (If it
> weren't, I don't suppose this doze machine would be able to read it.) Volkerding
> and Reichard talk of fdmount (for Slackware). I try that but am told
> that no such proggie exists.
fdutils is a package that should be installed however if not get the
package and install it yourself. it basically does the same as about
except it will mount and unmount the floppy automatically and can be used
by a normal user rather than root.

Tim.