Re: round 2

The combination of a message by Norman Diamond and something glimpsed
amid the screenfuls of during the RH 7.1 boot routine makes me start to
wonder whether I should work harder to get Linux right at the text level
before spending more time on X.  Anyway, my screen tells me:

Mounting USB filesystem  OK
Initializing USB controller  OK

Does USB have some special meaning that an ignoramus such as myself
wouldn't know, or just the regular meaning of the interface commonly
used for mice, new printers, slow scanners, etc.? If the latter, that's
bizarre: this old (mid '87) computer lacks a USB port.