Re: Can canna completely replace {Free}Wnn? (for CJK)

 Hello, all

 This is my first post of this ML.

At Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:04:54 +0900,
Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

> IIIMF is not an IM, it is a protocol through which IMs can talk.

 That's not true.  IIIMF stands for Internet Intranet Input Method
Framework, and it's Yet another IM(framework).
I think what you mentioned is IIIMP (IIIM Protocol).

> There's no particular reason why Wnn cannot be retargeted to talk
> IIIMF.  Or Canna, or anything else (except Quail, which is integrated
> into Emacs).

 Wnn(Canna,atok) Protocol and IIIM protocol is different layer.
XIM is Input Method Protocol used between client and im server.
The other hand, Wnn protocol is used between im server and conversion
engine(server).

> XIM is also a similarly flexible protocol, but it is older and suffers
> many design flaws.  (AFAIK IIIMF is generally layered over XIM where
> X11 is available, but I haven't seen much about implementations
> recently.)

 You can find the implementation of IIIMF with Xlib-I18N
on the http://www.li18nux.org/ web page :-)
--
Jiro SEKIBA | Web tools & AP Linux Competency Center, YSL, IBM Japan