blackbox and icewm ---SUCCESS

As usual, it turns out to be so simple, you have to laugh.

Among other things, I tried doing switchdesk.  This created a file called
.Xclients-default

Changing that file to read exec blackbox  (or exec icewm) started up either
one with everything working--I can write Japanese in vi, input it in
Sylpheed, etc.  (I had been using .xinitrc)

Thanks to Stephen and everyone else for your patience.

Scott Robbins