Re: re blackbox and icewm

    Scott> Meanwhile, that file that I mentioned in an earlier post
    Scott> seems promising.  Fortunately, it's a bash script rather

Yes.  X is hard to configure because it's designed to be distributed
across as many boxes as are on the network, and they did make a few
mistakes in design.  Unfortunately, for some reason people prefer to
reinvent the configuration wheel in ever more complex ways rather than
document it.

Fortunately, most of the configuration, except for XF86Config, is in
the form of an arbitrary executable file, usually a shell script.

There's a good chance that if you put

export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

in that shell script, things will start to work.

    Scott> I don't know if I mentioned that if I start icewm or
    Scott> blackbox, kinput2 -canna does not automatically start. I've
    Scott> fixed that by adding a line to the .xinitrc so it's one
    Scott> less thing to worry about.
You got that right all by yourself.  :-)

That is where it belongs (actually it should be in the session manager
startup, but session managers aren't ready for prime time).  There or
in the system xinitrc.[1]

    > What does /etc/X11/XF86Config say about your mouse?

    Scott> Simply says Protocol "PS/2"
    Scott> 	    Device   "/dev/psaux"
    Scott> Then several lines commented out
    Scott> Lastly Emulate3Timeout  50

Are you using XFree86 4.x?  If so, you have the old-style config file.
You might try /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -xf86config and see what comes
out.  XF86 4 is _much_ smarter than the third-party Xconfusticators
about talking to "smart" hardware.

I don't know how this works now, and it's not documented that I can
see.  If you have a third button, you don't want Emulate3Buttons.  Try
commenting out that last line.

Footnotes:
[1]  This crap of putting it in the window manager setup is more Microsoft
thinking.  "xinitrc is too haaard for peeepul, so put it in gtkrc with
a new and really stupid syntax".  gaak.