Re: re blackbox and icewm

2001 7? 11 ??? 23:29?Stephen J. Turnbull ????????:

>     Scott> In KDE which works, those are the results that I
>     Scott> got. However, in icewm, where I'm having the problem,
>     Scott> although LANG came out the same, echo $XMODIFIERS gave no
>     Scott> result--simply a blank space.
>
> You absolutely need XMODIFIERS set for any XIM application to work
> at all.

And of course, no man page on where to fix it.  :)  Nor did apropos get me
anywhere.  I'll find it.
Meanwhile, that file that I mentioned in an earlier post seems promising.
Fortunately, it's a bash script rather than a C or C ++ program, so
hopefully, I'll be able to puzzle it out with a little work.  However, in the
interim, I've come across other files that also might hold the key.

> Wonderful.  300 patches in GCC 2.96, but kterm segfaults, and RH has
> closed down their Nihon research offices.

Well, maybe in 7.2  :)  (I can put in the smilies, now that I feel I'm
getting closer to solving this.)

>     Scott> Yes, cannaserver is running.
>
> Cool.
>
>     Scott> (Interestingly enough, in this RH7.1, startup will fail to
>     Scott> bring it up unless gpm is removed from the startup menu.)
>
> Right.  GPM is another daemon that belongs on the Just Say No list.

I don't know if I mentioned that if I start icewm or blackbox, kinput2 -canna
does not automatically start. I've fixed that by adding a line to the
.xinitrc so it's one less thing to worry about.

>     sjt> Aha, more clues. It doesn't give me the usual options--that
>     sjt> is the EUC, shift-jis etc---It simply gives options such as
>     sjt> default, unreadable, huge, tiny, etc.  The final option is
>     sjt> selection, but it's greyed out.
>
> Er, that's the VT Fonts menu.  So your middle button ain't working.
> What does /etc/X11/XF86Config say about your mouse?

 Yes, forgot to mention that--sorry, trying to do too many things at once.
Simply says Protocol "PS/2"
	    Device   "/dev/psaux"
Then several lines commented out
Lastly Emulate3Timeout  50

During installation, it saw it as a 3 button mouse (it's an intellimouse
optical, with a scroll wheel.  However, the wheel doesn't work as a 3rd
button, though pushing left and right simultaneously does give me the 3
button effect.)
In kde, again, in a kterm, if I do the ctrl + both buttons, it does give me
the input options of EUC and shiftJIS.

I do feel that I'm getting closer to this--if I were better at bash scripts,
and understanding them, I might have it fixed already.
Ah well, back to the man pages  :)
(Scott half-heartedly tries a shift + space to see if it's magically healed
itself--nope.)

Thanks
Scott Robbins