re blackbox and icewm

    Scott> In KDE which works, those are the results that I
    Scott> got. However, in icewm, where I'm having the problem,
    Scott> although LANG came out the same, echo $XMODIFIERS gave no
    Scott> result--simply a blank space.

You absolutely need XMODIFIERS set for any XIM application to work
at all.

This is a typical boneheaded X design decision, by the way.  XIM does
not work without an X server, therefore the right place to put this
information is in a property on the root window, which always will
exist if a server exists.  The OS environment is the wrong place for
this kind of information.  But I digress.

    Scott> No, this didn't work--in the new kterm, when I hit space +
    Scott> shift, the window would close with a message that there was
    Scott> a segmentation error.

Wonderful.  300 patches in GCC 2.96, but kterm segfaults, and RH has
closed down their Nihon research offices.

    Scott> Yes, cannaserver is running.

Cool.

    Scott> (Interestingly enough, in this RH7.1, startup will fail to
    Scott> bring it up unless gpm is removed from the startup menu.)

Right.  GPM is another daemon that belongs on the Just Say No list.

    sjt> Move the mouse cursor to the kterm, and select "Open Input
    sjt> Method" from the VT Options menu (last option, pop up the
    sjt> menu with Control-MiddleButton).  What does it say?

    sjt> Aha, more clues. It doesn't give me the usual options--that
    sjt> is the EUC, shift-jis etc---It simply gives options such as
    sjt> default, unreadable, huge, tiny, etc.  The final option is
    sjt> selection, but it's greyed out.

Er, that's the VT Fonts menu.  So your middle button ain't working.
What does /etc/X11/XF86Config say about your mouse?