re blackbox and icewm

Hi Stephen and list,

>What does "echo $LANG; echo $XMODIFIERS" say in your kterm?  If these
are set incorrectly, properly coded applications will be unable to
input Japanese via kinput2.  The most likely to be correct values are

LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2    # yes there are TWO equals signs there

In KDE which works, those are the results that I got. However, in icewm,
where I'm having the problem, although LANG came out the same,
echo $XMODIFIERS gave no result--simply a blank space. So, I'm beginning to
zero in on the problem.

From the kterm, try starting a new kterm with "kterm -xim".  Does this
help?

No, this didn't work--in the new kterm, when I hit space + shift, the window
would close with a message that there was a segmentation error.

>Is an input server (Canna, Wnn, ATOK, etc) running?  (ps aux | less to
see what's running.)

Yes, cannaserver is running.  (Interestingly enough, in this RH7.1, startup
will fail to bring it up unless gpm is removed from the startup  menu.)

Move the mouse cursor to the kterm, and select "Open Input Method"
from the VT Options menu (last option, pop up the menu with
Control-MiddleButton).  What does it say?

Aha, more clues. It doesn't give me the usual options--that is the EUC,
shift-jis etc---It simply gives options such as default, unreadable, huge,
tiny, etc.  The final option is selection, but it's greyed out.

Find out how KDE gets started, where its init scripts are and stuff
(often in /etc/X11).  Check in them to see what correct settings for
the environment variables are.

How do the menus/icons get set up?  Under Debian there is a common set
of menu configurations, which all properly configured WMs use.  But in
many distros these need to be configured one by one.  Figure out how
to get the properties for the KDE menu item/icon to find the command
line (to see if any special options are used).

These last two are going to take a bit of research (Didn't see anything in
/etc/X11).  However, you've given me a place to get started. My most sincere
thanks

Scott