Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

Peter Evans wrote:

> Well, I'm getting there, slowly. I've even got the command prompt.
> (Whoopee!) Thank you all for your help.
>
> The command prompt is all I've got, though. Jonathan Q:
>
> > You can configure it with /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config.
>
> I have the directory, but (regardless of case) no such file there. I'm
> glad I have half a ton of Linux books here, as every one says something
> that the others don't. Anyway, one mentions /usr/X11R6/lib/XF86Config --
> but I don't have that either. Moreover,
>
> find XF86Config

'/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config' is a part of the 'XFree86-3.3.6' package on RH
6.2 so it has to be there. If not, then X isnt fully installed.

> from / doesn't find it. I suppose it's waiting to be installed from the
> CD-ROM. But the CD-ROM is part of the single filesystem, no? I infer
> that I don't even understand the find command. After all, it *instantly*
> reports that it can't find the file, without any disk accessing.

XF86Setup is part of the  'XFree86-XF86Setup' package and is included with
the cdrom, but is not installed by default on RH 6.2.  Again
'Xconfigurator' does a very good job here.