Re: RH 6.2 install causes screen to explode

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:41:47AM +0900, Tim Hurman wrote:
> oh, and swap size suggestions etc:
> your swap size should be approx 3 times the amount of ram you have in your
> system (an inheritied value). however if you have >64M etc, you can get by
> without swap, although things run better with it. Usually I just add about
> 100M of swap space, no matter. I also add it as the first partition on the
> disk as this uses the inner area, which has a faster seek time (disks
> being constant velocity devices)

With Linux 2.4.x, you need at least swap space at least twice as big as your
physical memory, or performance will suffer. This was not the case with 2.2.x
and before, where you basically only had to have enough (physical+virtual)
memory to accomodate everything you'd ever want to run at the same time.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/