Update (success at last) on connecting to localhost

Thanks to all the great advice, and especially that from Thomas O'Dowd, I
am at last able to connect to localhost from an NNTP client.

The first problem was that RH7.1 uses xinetd instead of inetd, as many of
you pointed out. An additional problem was that even after putting in all
the correct information for the nntp service in the xinetd conf file and
reloading xinetd, nntp didn't show up as a service -- until I also issued
service xinetd start, and *then* reloaded [d'oh!]. That did the trick.

Here are the play-by-play details, including the fetchnews command just
to show how that works.

[root@example.com /]# service xinetd start
Starting xinetd:                                           [  OK  ]
[root@example.com /]# chkconfig --list nntp
error reading information on service nntp: No such file or directory
[root@example.com /]# etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd reload
Reloading configuration:                                   [  OK  ]
[root@example.com /]# netstat -l -A inet
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 *:1024                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:wnn4                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:1328                  *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:x11                   *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:canna                 *:*                     LISTEN
tcp        0      0 *:nntp                  *:*   LISTEN <-- here it is!
tcp        0      0 localhost.localdom:smtp *:*                     LISTEN
udp        0      0 *:1024                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:sunrpc                *:*
udp        0      0 *:763                   *:*
[root@example.com /]# fetchnews -vvv
1.9.19: verbosity level is 3
Trying to connect to news.alt.net ... connected.
Getting new newsgroups from news.alt.net
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.alt.net
Disconnected from news.alt.net.

And now when I connect to localhost from my NNTP client, I no longer get
"Server refused connection" errors.

This is an important milestone in my quest to get real Unix-like services
up and working. Next will be getting news to work with XEmacs, and then
mail. Thanks again for all the help! Essentially it was Thomas'
step-by-step instructions that helped me get it going.
--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com