Re: Localhost connection refused

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 08:58:02AM +0900, John De Hoog wrote:

> Well, I have given quite a bit of detail, but it's buried back deep in
> this long thread. <g> At this point, I have xindetd running and am
> trying to get its conf file set up correctly, following a combination of
> your instructions and those in the INSTALL file for leafnode (but
> substituting xinetd for inetd). But I have not succeeded in getting nntp
> or port 119 reflected in the netstat result for inet. This seems to be
> the crux of the matter, and I will continue experimenting later today.

Well, the inetd entry probably looks something like...

nntp    stream  tcp     nowait  news    /usr/local/sbin/leafnode

This translates to...

# cat > /etc/xinetd.d/nntp
# default: on
service nntp
{
	socket_type	= stream
	wait        = no
	user        = news
	server		= /usr/local/sbin/leafnode
	disable		= no
}
^D  <-- ie, send eof.

Then reload xinetd as I said before. Send us the /var/log/messages
file for the loading if it doesn't work, but also check that the
file /etc/xinetd.conf has the line

includedir /etc/xinetd.d

Also check that:

1. the news user exists (it does by default)
2. leafnode exists and is executable at the specific path
3. that the config file is readable to the news user, it says it uses
   /etc/leafnode/config in the faq.

Oh, and RH seems to have expanded the functionality of chkconfig to also
cover xinetd now... What do you get when you type:

# chkconfig --list nntp

If it says off, then disable is yes. If you run...

# chkconfig nntp on

It will update the config file for you (ie disable = no) and reload xinetd...

Pretty straight forward really :)

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com