Conversion of HTML to GIF files/

    Girish> I have a requirement to convert a HTML file containing
    Girish> japanese characters to PDF format,

Yuck.  HTML is not designed for this; if at all possible you should
get the requirements rewritten.

It is possible that the Imagemagick convert(1) utility will do this,
but I very strongly suspect it doesn't grok Japanese text in HTML,
only embedded imagemaps.

The obvious quickie solutions have already been suggested: Netscape
print to .ps, use ps2pdf (part of the Ghostscript package) to convert
to PDF.  This means that Japanese text will be embedded in the PDF.
The biggest disadvantage of this strategy is that many versions of
Adobe Acrobat Reader do not implement the PDF standard fully, so you
are fairly likely to produce a PDF that will crash Acrobat.  Fairly
recent versions of Acrobat expecially do not like the Type 3 fonts
produced by Ghostscript for Japanese.

The other is to take a sceenshot to get an image file.  This can be
done with any number of utilities, such as Imagemagick import(1),
xwd(1), or xv(1).  Then convert to PDF via netpbm and Ghostscript or
Imagemagick convert(1).  Resolution will be poor, however.

I would suggest trying number of different approaches to get the best
quality.