Re: Localhost connection refused

At Sun, 8 Jul 2001 20:58:48 +0900,
John De Hoog wrote:

> The leafnode config file itself says nothing about who may access
> localhost; it only controls access to the remote servers. I have
> /etc/nntpserver set to localhost. I have /etc.hosts.allow set to
> "leafnode localhost". I've followed the installation instructions to the
> letter, and fetchnews works fine. The problem that remains is lack of
> permission to access localhost, even from root.

I use leafnode, though I use debian unstable.
I believe that leafnode is invoked by inetd. Take a look at
/etc/inetd.conf. if the nntp entry is not commented out,
leafnode is invoked by inetd.

Then, you may want to check /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} files.
These files control how tcpd restricts the access to specific daemon.
Make sure that there is 'leafnode: ALL' entry in hosts.deny and
'leafnode: 127.0.0.1' entry in hosts.allow.

Takeshi