Re: Localhost connection refused

Thomas O'Dowd wrote...

> The default ports for nntp is 119 as per above...
>
> Your client tries to connect to this, as its not mentioned above so,
> hence your connection refused...
>
> Have you started an nntp server on your system? I've never set one up
> but I presume the default name in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ would be nntp and
> the process probably nntpd.
>
> Check a process running with...
>
> $ ps -aef | grep '[n]ntp'
>
> or check if the start file exists in /etc/rc.d/init.d and check if it
> is activated...
>
> $ chkconfig --list nntp
>
> If it is there but not marked off in your current run level then turn
> it on, by
>
> $ chkconfig --add nntp
>
> or if not there see if installed, probably rpm so...
>
> $ rpm -qa | grep -i nntp
>
> If not installed, try finding the rpm on your 7.1 cd and installing...

For all of the above I get;

error reading information on service nntp: No such file or directory

So maybe this is the problem. I'll try installing nntp and report back
later. Thanks for the advice.

All these little exercises are very educational, so I appreciate the
help, as do many of my lurking buddies. <g>

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com