Re: Localhost connection refused

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 05:26:33PM +0900, John De Hoog wrote:
> Thomas O'Dowd wrote...
>
> > What are you trying to connect to on your localhost?
> >
> > Did you check netstat?
> >
> > netstat -l -A inet

> > If the service ain't listed on your side, chances are the service isn't
> > running or is not listening because its not configured to.
>
> As I explained at the top of this thread, I've set up leafnode, have
> downloaded news groups from my NNTP server (news.alt.net), and now am
> trying to access my local host from an NNTP client. When I designate
> localhost as my local news server, I get "Connection refused". Here's
> what netstat shows:
>
> Active Internet connections (only servers)
> Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
> tcp        0      	0       *:1024                  *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0       *:wnn4                  *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0       *:sunrpc                *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0       *:1328                  *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0       *:x11                   *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0       *:canna                 *:*              LISTEN
> tcp        0      	0  localhost.localdom:smtp *:*           LISTEN
> udp        0      	0       *:1024                  *:*
> udp        0      	0       *:sunrpc                *:*
> udp        0      	0       *:763                   *:*
>

> Should there be an entry for localhost.localcom:nntp? If so, how is this
> entry made?

$ grep nntp /etc/services
nntp		119/tcp		readnews untp	# USENET News Transfer Protocol
nntp		119/udp		readnews untp	# USENET News Transfer Protocol
nntps		563/tcp				# NNTP over SSL
nntps		563/udp				# NNTP over SSL

The default ports for nntp is 119 as per above...

Your client tries to connect to this, at its not mentioned above so, hence
your connection refused...

Have you started an nntp server on your system? I've never set one up
but I presume the default name in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ would be nntp and
the process probably nntpd.

Check a process running with...

$ ps -aef | grep '[n]ntp'

or check if the start file exists in /etc/rc.d/init.d and check if it is
activated...

$ chkconfig --list nntp

If it is there but not marked off in your current run level then turn it
on, by

$ chkconfig --add nntp

or if not there see if installed, probably rpm so...

$ rpm -qa | grep -i nntp

If not installed, try finding the rpm on your 7.1 cd and installing...

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd. - Nooping - http://nooper.com
tom@example.com - Testing - http://nooper.co.jp/labs