Localhost connection refused

On Red Hat 7.1, connected to ADSL by router and with DCHP, I am trying to
set up leafnode for news. I'm able to get fetchnews to get my groups list
from the NNTP server in the U.S., but when I set localhost as my local
news host I get a connection refused.

Telnetting to localhost, even as root, also produces a Connection refused
response.

I have my Red Hat firewall set to Medium default. localhost is defined in
/etc/hosts as 127.0.0.1.

Any hints as to the basic thing I'm doing wrong??

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
dehoog@example.com