Re: access mode of a directory

"SN_Diamond" <Norman.Diamond@example.com> wrote:

> A.Sajjad Zaidi wrote:
>
> > Hector Akamine wrote:
> >
> > > I am using .htaccess in apache to restrict the files of a
> > > directory (originally with mode 755) to be viewed only when the correct
> > > username and password is provided. But the contents of the directory can
> > > obviously be seen by anybody who can log to the machine. Does changing
> > > the permissions to 711 prevent this?
> >
> > To do this you will have to set the permissions to 750 for the directory
> > and change group to nobody (or whatever apache is set to use).
>
> Oh, don't do that.  If you only want apache to see it, make a separate group
> apache (unless it already exists) and change the directory's group to this
> apache group.

When I clear the "execute" permission of the directory for "others" (e.g.,
doing chmod 750), apache does not let me access the files from the
browser. Being the things like that, it wouldn't be possible to
accomplish what I want (avoid people who can log to the server to access
my directory). Am I wrong?