Re: access mode of a directory

Hector Akamine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a doubt about directory permissions. If I set the access mode of
> a directory to 711 (drwx--x--x), can the files of the directory be
> accessed by the members's of the group? In the case of a directory,
> what is the difference between 711 and 700?

711 allows owner to 'read, write and execute' and group and others to only
'execute' anything inside the directory. 700 only allows the owner to
'read, write and execute'.

> I am using .htaccess in apache to restrict the files of a
> directory (originally with mode 755) to be viewed only when the correct
> username and password is provided. But the contents of the directory can
> obviously be seen by anybody who can log to the machine. Does changing
> the permissions to 711 prevent this?

To do this you will have to set the permissions to 750 for the directory
and change group to nobody (or whatever apache is set to use). However
anyone in the same group will be able to see inside. Usually, none of the
users are in the nobody group except nobody itself.