Re: Q.

Well,

I'm back to where I was two days ago and Have all the same problems!

> > Yep, OK. I was missing the 'ldconfig' part in the sequence of tasks. The good
> > news is that it seemd to alocate the path correctly but the bad news is that
> > the system then crashed and now will not reboot, it hangs up on  'Do not
> > recognise library files .....' and the just sits there until i switch it of.
>
> what did you put in ld.so.conf ?

I wanted to load an Alsa sound driver, I downloaded the appropriate tar files and
tried to install but the ./configure option would always fail because /usr/bin/ld
could not find crt1.o. I located crt1.o in  /usr/i586-glibc20-linux/lib so I added
this path to the file '/etc/ld.so.conf' and executed ldconfig. As soon as I had done
so I lost all useful shell commands and decided to reboot. But of course it never
did!

As a side issue, I loaded gcc recently from an RPM package on the Mandrake 7.0
distribution and gcc promptly appeared in my /bin but obviously can't find various
libraries. Am I not doing something right? Is the RPM not doing something?

> > Rescue disc does the same! Help!
>
> It's not a rescue disk then. I usually use a bootable linux installer cd for
> rescue (if it ever happens).
> There should be a free console with a shell running, just mount your old root to
> some path then correct what you've messed up.

Thanks, I've recoverd the situation. Can I create a rescue disk before trying
anything else?

> On my system this (/usr/lib/crt1.o) is in the libc6-dev package. If your linker
> cannot find stuff under /usr/lib you're in trouble.

Great, but what does it mean and what should I do about it?

> > I can confirm that both the sound card and USB port are using the same
> > interrupt.IRQ5. The USB  is a PCI device, it is my understanding that a PCI
> > device needs an IRQ change through the Bios. Is this true? My Bios simply
> > allows USB to be enabled or desabled, no IRQ allocation to be found. Similarly
> > the souncard IRQ cannot be changed. How can I change the IRQ allocation?
>
> Some BIOSes allow to manually assign IRQ to devices.
> First you should check the settings under that other OS, if both the USB and
> soundcard work fine with the same IRQ then I would leave it like that.

Yes the other OS uses IRQ5 on both and works fine. I tried reloading the soundcard on
Linux using sndconfig, these are the messages I received, if they mean anything to
anyone then I'm listening!

     PCI sound card found on your system VIA TECH IVT82C686_5
     Testing sound card
     error running modprobe
     /lib/modules/2.2.14-15mdkfb/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or Resource
     buisy
     sound:  Device or Resource buisy
     sb: No such file or directory.

Any ideas chaps?!

begin:vcard
n:Lindfield;Dan
tel;cell:+81 90 8558 5697
tel;fax:+81 3 5304 7560
tel;work:+81 3 3370 3527
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Rolls Royce International Ltd;Representative - Japan
version:2.1
email;internet:dan.lindfield@example.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmonde Palace 101=0D=0AYoyogi 4-42-11;Shibuya-Ku;Tokyo;151-0053;Japan
fn:Dan Lindfield
end:vcard