Re: Q.

    Dan> it hangs up on 'Do not recognise library files .....' and the
    Dan> just sits there until i switch it of.  Rescue disc does the
    Dan> same! Help!

If it's a real rescue disk, then there should be some way to get it to
use the libraries that are on the rescue disk.  Try getting to a boot
prompt (I'd need to know how the disk is set up to tell you how to do
that), and trying something like "linux root=/dev/fd0".  Try looking
at the rescue disk from DOS/Windose.

If those don't work, switch distros.  That is not a rescue disk and
any distro whose developers are sufficiently brain-damaged to call it
a rescue disk is not one to trust with your data.

(I suppose it's possible that you are confused about the difference
between a "boot" and a "rescue" disk.  That's OK, but distro
developers should know better.  Now, it is acceptable for a "boot
disk" to behave that way.  "Rescue" implies "self-contained" and "with
repair kit included" is the point.  Boot disk means LILO or GRUB is
hosed but the system is intact.  Just get the kernel running and the
rest takes care of itself.  Rescue disks are used when the system gets
corrupted; effectively you borrow the CPU and treat the "system"
storage as a pile of bits to be mined for useful stuff.  So it had
better contain all the usual heavy construction equipment.)

You do not need to use the same distro's rescue disk, by the way.  Any
real rescue disk by the above definition will work as long as its
kernel can mount your file systems.

since you are dual booting, and assuming you actually have DOS, you
can use IE/Netscrap to get bootlin and a stock kernel/initrd setup
(eg, from www.debian.org).  As soon as you have Linux running, drop to
a shell (ash, unfortunately, no command line history or completion
etc) and start mounting partitions by hand.

Probably all you need to do is mount the physical partition that root
is on, say mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt, then edit /mnt/etc/ld.so.conf
to take out the offending lines.  DO NOT RUN ldconfig, it won't touch
your disk (it use /etc/ld.so.conf to change /etc/ld.so.cache, which
are in the RAM disk).  Reboot.