Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote:

     Speaking of Star Office, I see that the US Department of Defense
     plans to deploy "up to 25,000 copies" of it.  10,000 so will
     replace an existing Sun product, the others will be new installs.
     Not only on *nix, either :-)  25,000 is a drop in the bucket,
     I know, but MS must hate it nevertheless.  Once the camel gets
     its nose under the tent ...

What got my attention in the same article is this part toward the end:

    Sun is also on track to release StarOffice 6 later this year. Iyer
  Venkatesan, the senior product manager for StarOffice, told eWeek in
  late April that StarOffice 6 would include the recently finalized XML
  file format specifications, which would make file sharing far easier.
  "Files will now be able to be saved in either an XML format or in the
  current binary format. This lets users easily share information across
  applications, and will simplify the importing and exporting of files
  from different programs while greatly improving file sharing and
  readability," he said.

    The various components would also be launched separately in
  StarOffice 6, helping to improve performance. Asian language support
  will also be included, covering simplified and traditional Chinese,
  Japanese and Korean, completing Sun's localization road map.

http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2779806,00.html

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo        <dehoog@example.com>