Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Peter Evans (peter@example.com) wrote:

> free) doesn't excite me at all, I'm afraid.  Now, if someone were to say
> there were a XyWrite clone for Linux. . . .

I bet real XYyWrite would probably run.  I don't recall if that was
an early Windows 3.0 app (sorry, I was using PFS First Choice back
in those days; my dad - believe it or not - still not only has but
actually uses occassionally an old copy of MultiMate) or a DOS
app, but if Win, it will probably run under Wine.  If DOS,
try dosemu.  You might be pleasantly surprised if you still have
XyWrite around.

Speaking of Star Office, I see that the US Department of Defense
plans to deploy "up to 25,000 copies" of it.  10,000 so will
replace an existing Sun product, the others will be new installs.
Not only on *nix, either :-)  25,000 is a drop in the bucket,
I know, but MS must hate it nevertheless.  Once the camel gets
its nose under the tent ...

Jonathan