Re: not-even-newbie printer question

Thanks, Stephen.

Hmm, with the assumption that discrete chunks of software would be
downloadable and installable, I suppose I reveal that I'm even more
MS-brainwashed than I'd realized.

Ah, the hell with it all.  I'll buy another toner cartridge for my old
LaserJet IIIP.  Hell, it cost 1600 or so of circa-1994 dollars, so I
might as well get my money's worth.  (Also, in practice it doesn't waste
that much electricity. Since it doesn't really have an idling mode and
instead alternates between humming irritatingly and whooshing more
irritatingly, I simply turn it off when I'm not using it. So today for
example it has consumed a total of precisely zero watt-hours.)